Friday, June 29, 2012

Daily Bible Reading: 2 Samual 16

David and his company were still running from Absalom. They got as far as Mt. Olivet. As they crossed over the hill, Ziba, Mephibosheth's servant, met him with supplies. David asked him, "Why are you doing this?"

Ziba said, "Because you need them, don't you?"

David asked, "Where is Mephibosheth?"

"He is still in Jerusalem. He is certain that the Kingdom of Israel will be given to him because he is Saul's son, now that it is being taken from you."

David said, "Then everything I gave to Mephibosheth is yours."

Ziba then said, "I hope we can still be friends."

So they travelled on to Bahurim, where another servant of Saul came out cursing David. David's men got on either side of him to protect him because Shimei, the servant was throwing stones at him and yelling, "Come on out you S.O.B!" (S.O.B stands for "Son of Belial", with the same meaning we give the reference today)

Shimei told him, "The reason this is happening to you is because of the blood you shed from the innocent! God is giving you what you deserve!"

Abishai asked for permission to slay Shimei, and David said, "My own son is betraying me and insulting me. How much more can this little man do? Leave him alone. There is a reason for everything. Maybe if I put up with it, God will bless me for it."

So Shimei continued to curse David, and David continued to travel.

Now when Hushai arrived in Jerusalem, he greeted Absalom with, "God save the King!"

Absalom wanted to know why he hadn't gone with David.

Hushai told him, "I served your father, and now you are king so I will serve you."

Absalom asked Antithophel what he thought he should do.

Antithophel told him, "If I were you, I'd go and be with his girlfriends in front of all of Israel. That way there is NO doubt that you are not allied with your father, and that he hates you."

Antithophels reputation was so great in the land that if he told you to go jump off a cliff and that if you did you would live, people believed him. So Absalem pitched a tent on top of David's house and there in front of all of Israel, he slept with David's girlfriends.

===============

I have learned that sometimes you have to take the heat when you are in exhile in order to keep moving forward. I have also learned not to trust the counsel of your enemy's friends.

===============






No comments: