Monday, June 25, 2012

Daily Bible Reading: 2 Samual 14

Joab understood that the King was saddened by Absalom's absence, so he sent for a wise woman from Tekoah and told her what to do:

The woman dressed like a mourner who had been mourning a long time, and went and bowed down to David. When David asked her what was wrong, she said,

"I had two sons that were fighting, and one of them killed the other, and now the whole family is angry with my son that lives, and wants to kill him and leave me no heir! And now everyone is angry with me because I refuse, but I will take his punishment if I can! "

The king said, "Woman, no one is going to hurt you. I will see to that, and I will get them to leave you alone concerning your son. Just tell me who is bothering you?"

She answered and said, "I would rather leave it in the Lord's hand. He is the great avenger. Why tell you when that would be putting you in God's place. Besides, if I die, my son will have no one to protect him."

David then said, "I will make sure no one hurts your son."

The woman then said, "May I speak freely?"

He gave her permission.

"If you are willing to do this for me, then why not do it for yourself? Why not go and get Absalom? The anger of the people cannot override your command, and God will be with you if you intend to do right by letting him be the avenger of the blood that was spilt?"

"Did Joab put you up to this?"

"He did."

So David sent Joab to get Absalom, but instructed him that he did not want to see Absalom's face. Joab did as he was told, and Absalom came home, but did not see his father.

Now, Absalom had very long and thick hair. It weighed, alone, almost 7 pounds.

Absalom wanted to see the king, so he sent for Joab, to go and ask that he may do so; but Joab didn't come. He sent again and still Joab would not come, so he sent a servant to set Joab's field on fire.

Joab came and asked, "Why did your servant set my field on fire?"

"It was the only way I could get your attention so you would come. I want to see the King."

So Joab went and talked to David and David sent for Absalom, and Absalom bowed before David, who kissed his son.

==========

The lesson I got out of all this is that sometimes it is best to forgive and let God be your vengeance, because forgiveness restores family unity, and any other feuds you may have with anyone can restore lost friendships and allies. I also learned that you should do whatever means available to get the unforgiving party to hear you when you ask for forgiveness.

==============

No comments: