Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Daily Bible Reading: 1 Samual 7

David had rest. God had rid Israel of all her enemies for a time. Now, David wanted to do something for God. He looked around and said, "I want to build a House for God. Here I am in a house made of cedar while His house is a tent. Doesn't seem right."

So he went to Nathan the Prophet. Nathan told David that it was a great idea; but, later that night, God came to Nathan and told him to talk to David, and to tell him:

"David, I have never had a house. I have never needed a house. I thank you for your concern, however. And, I have made sure that you and all of Israel had homes. I have made sure you aren't bothered with the enemy. When you die, and are at rest with your fathers, I will take care of your children. When your son is king, I will let him build me a house. If he misbehaves, I will use the people around him to chastise him. I will not take my spirit from him as I did with Saul."

Nathan did as he was told. David then went before God and sat down. He said,

"Lord, you can do anything. It is nothing for you to give me all you have given me. And now, when I want to do something for you, you deny me the opportunity? Why? The reason you have done all you have done is so the people can know and understand your laws. But, you are God. You know everything. And you have blessed me and my house. Whatever you have willed, may it be done. I will accept this because I know you are a great and mighty God. And there is a reason for everything. You say you will bless me and my posterity, and I believe you. Whatever you say, Lord. That's what will be."

===============

The lesson I got from this is that it is okay to question God, as long as you accept God's answer. Just because you don't get what you want, or can't do what you feel you should, doesn't mean God doesn't know your heart. Sometimes what you want to do and what God wants you to do are two different things.

If you accept the things that you cannot do, and if you want to do it in your heart, God will even bless you for your desires. He knows your heart. He blesses according to what is in your heart.

===============

No comments: