Thursday, July 05, 2012

Daily Bible Reading: 2 Samual 19

Someone told Joab that David was taking his son's death badly, and that it broke David's heart. All of Israel was sad for David, instead of happy for the victory. They went very quietly about their business, not wanting to dishonor their King's mourning.

Finally, Joab went to see him. He told David, "You should be ashamed of yourself. You have shamed all of us. Here, we saved you from your enemy and all of Israel from death. But you act like you love your enemies more than your friends. Instead of acting like the victor, you are acting like the victim! Now get up and go and speak to your servants and be the King. I swear if you don't, I am leaving, and you won't like it when I do!"

So David went and sat in the gate. All of Israel came before him; because they had all fled to their tents after Absalom was killed, and rumor had it that he had left and ran off because of Absalom, and all the people wanted to know why they had done nothing to bring the king back, because David had not yet returned to his home in Jerusalem.

So David sent word to the priests, saying, "Why haven't you talked to Israel concerning this matter? I hear the rumors, yet you are not addressing them. You act as if you don't want to have me come home."

So they sent word back for him to come home.

When David got to the Jordan, the Tribe of Judah came to meet him and help him get home. Shimei, the son of Gera, the Benjamite that cursed him on the hill as he left, came with them to meet him. Ziba, the servant of Saul, also came to meet him. David used a ferry boat to cross the Jordan, and then Shimei fell on his face before the king, begging, "Please forgive me. I know I was wrong for what I did. That is why I am here, before all of Israel, to beg your forgiveness and ask that you not take to heart what I did."

Abishai said, "Shouldn't we kill him for cursing you, David? You are the Lord's annointed!"

David said, "No. No one is going to die today. Everyone knows I am King, that is enough."

Mephibosheth, who had not bathed nor trimmed his beard or washed his clothes since the day David left, also came to meet David. David asked him, "How come you didn't go with me?"

Mephibosheth said, "Ziba lied to you. He said he would go and meet you since I was lame, and he never returned. He wanted all that was mine."

David said, "Nevertheless, Ziba went with me. So I'll just divide the land and give him half."

Mephibosheth said, "He can have it all. I am just happy you are home! You have been nothing but good to me."

Barzillai, a good old man that provided David's provisions when he was in Manahaim, also came to meet him. David invited him to come to Jerusalem so he could feast with him and thank him properly. Barzillai said, "No, I'm too old to travel that way. You can take my servant Chimham instead. But, you are king. No repayment is necessary."

David agreed to take Chimham. But when David got over Jordan and came into the city, the men of Israel said, "Why did the men of Judah go to meet the king? That was OUR job to do!"

The men of Judah said, "David is closest in kin to us. It was our right. We haven't taken any gifts or pay from him."

Then Israel said, "We have more of a right to him than you do! We've given ten times more to him than you ever have!"

But Judah said mean things that day.
============================

When all is said and done, I have learned that sometimes people's perceptions of the way things are different from the way things seem. Sometimes what you think is going on isn't what is going on at all. It is always best to be open to any new information instead of assuming that things are the way you see them.

===========================




No comments: