Monday, July 16, 2012

Daily Bible Reading: 1 Kings 2

When David was on his deathbed, he spoke to Solomon, saying:

If you do as the word of Moses says, and you walk in the ways of the Lord, and you follow His laws, you will be prosperous, and He will keep His word saying that if we obey, this family will remain on the throne of Israel forever.

You know what Joab did to me. So I ask you to take action concerning him.

Be kind to Barzillai the Gileadite because he was there for me when Absalom made me run.

But Shimei, the one who cursed me when I ran, I promised I would not hurt him, but I didn't promise you wouldn't. Show him no mercy for me.

David died after being king for forty years.

Adonijah went to see Bathsheba and begged her to ask Solomon for Abishag for himself to wife. "Solomon will deny you nothing," He pleaded.

Bathsheba went to Solomon and made this request on behalf of Adonijah. Solomon was not happy about it. "You might as well ask me for the kingdom to give him. No, he will NOT have Abishag. I'm going to kill him for this!" So he sent Benaiah to do the dirty deed, and he killed Adonijah.

Solomon thrust out Abiathar from being priest, then he went after Joab. Joab heard about it and ran to the tabernacle and grabbed hold of the horns of the altar in distress. Benaiah killed him there under Solomon's command.

Solomon then made Benaiah captain of his host in Joab's place, and he made Zadock priest in Abiathar's place.

Solomon told Shimmei he could live in Jerusalem, but if he ever left, he would be put to death. Shimmei built a house in Jerusalem. After three years, some of his slaves ran away, and he went to Gath to get them. Someone told Solomon, so Solomon had him killed, also.

==========

The lesson I learned from this is that you don't tempt fate. Sooner or later, God is going to get you for the bad things you do, whether He uses the person you wronged, or his posterity; there will be a price to pay for messing with God's own.

=========


Title loan animated

No comments: