Friday, October 31, 2014

The History of Hallowe'en

Today is that day that some people celebrate as All Hallow's Eve. http://www.halloweenhistory.org/

I have posted a link that you may find interesting regarding the History of Hallowe'en. Nowadays, our churches have traded in the Hallowe'en tradition for what has become known as "Harvest Festivals". And, though it is an attempt to offer an alternative to the more pagan aspects of Hallowe'en, are they still not paying service to the tradition?

When I was a kid, we usually had Hallowe'en festivals on the weekend before my birthday, or around the same night, as it was held on a Saturday. Every year, my mother enjoyed the cake-walk. If she won anything, it was to be used as my birthday cake.

I HATED it. Not because it came from a cake walk, which I really didn't care, but because every time she won, it was a CARROT CAKE. To this day I despise Carrot Cakes just on principle. Why, oh why couldn't she have won the Fudge or Chocolate cakes?

Anyway, I wish each and every one of you a safe celebration of whatever you are celebrating, or however you choose to celebrate. I prefer to sit at home and hope I don't have any trick-or-treaters.

No comments: