Saturday, October 25, 2008

Presentation

Promotional Skills for The Chronically Amateur
(How to Get Your Message to the American Sheeple)

Part 12: Presentation
by Shonda Ponder

© 2002, Shonda Ponder

While working on (and off) the internet, I've come across some really great people who have some really great messages that need to get out. However, some of those people would do well in radio or as seminar or rally speakers, but when it comes to presenting their information on the internet, they are better off hiring someone to do it for them.

On the other hand, I've met some really great people who know how to say what they want to say in writing, and are skillful at crafting the use of the english language in books or on websites, but tend to stammer and stutter when it comes to getting in front of a crowd of people, or standing in shining lights. I am one of the latter type. If I were to get in front of a crowd of people and attempt to tell them what I am attempting to convey here, I would freeze. Or, I would stammer. I start to sweat, my knees start knocking, I fight tears...I could go on and on, but you get the picture.

But, what is even worse, if I were to do an interview on radio, or have my own show, very few people would take me seriously, even if I were a master orator. The reason is simple: I have a very thick East Texas accent that tends to make people think that I am "slow" or "stupid". So, I try hard to stay away from crowds of people unless I am attending an event merely for supportive or informational purposes.

Sometimes just knowing HOW to do something isn't enough.

When writing articles that you intend to submit to publishers, or even if you intend to publish it yourself, you should always be wary of the presentation of your work. For instance, mis-spelled words and bad grammar are usually a turn-off for some people in high places who are well-educated and are able to better help you by providing credence to your work, if they were to become one of your recruits. Also, the usage of proper english and language arts skills create charisma for your message by making it easy to read and understand.

Another benefit of learning proper language arts skills is the likelihood of promotional ability. If you write a great article, and you place it on the internet after making sure your work is checked, to the best of your ability, for good grammar and spelling, you increase the likelihood that an editor who can publish your work, where it can be seen by many thousands of readers, will ask permission to use your article in their next publication. The non-ability to use proper grammar and spelling skills is the equivalent of turning on the radio to hear some slow-talking southern drawl who can't pronounce words right, or tends to stammer and stutter throughout the program. It tends to grate on people's nerves, and most of the time they'll change the channel -- or, in this case, delete the message.

A good book to get you started would be English Grammar for Dummies.

Another good tool to have is a spell-checker on your email or Word program, which you should use religiously. Also, while writing articles or letters you know are going to be seen by important people (and your potential recruits are more important than anyone you will ever meet), it is good to have a dictionary and a thesaurus handy.

This is Part 12 of "Promotional Skills for the Chronically Amateur"

-----
Permission granted to repost any article in its entirety, so long as the URL is included in the post, and proper credit is given to the author, unless otherwise specified.

No comments: