Tuesday, October 30, 2012

My Birthday

Today is my birthday. It brings back memories of a lived life:

I was fixing to turn 12 years old. I had moved in with my dad about a month before, and I was in the 6th grade. I had never had a surprise birthday party. My dad hadn't been there for most of my birthdays before, so he was surprised to hear that I had never had one. On my birthday, it was a normal school day.

I loved my new school. I had made everyone my friends (which was REALLY new for me...) and had started going to church a couple of blocks from my house, also. My class only had about 14 kids in it. Our school was so small that we were in the same classroom with the 5th graders, with the same homeroom teacher who taught in 30 minutes intervals to each class, so while one had class, the other had study period. I loved all my new friends and classmates.

As kids used to do, we passed notes around during study period. Today, there was a lot of notepassing going on. My friend, Rosa Edwards (Jones) was giving me note after note to pass to different people. Being all honest and filled with integrity, I never read any of them before I passed them along. After school, when I got home, everyone in my class was waiting for me with a big "SURPRISE!!!" I was so taken.

I was even more taken when Rosa informed me that I had passed out my own invitations!


Hostas

No comments: