Thursday, August 09, 2012

Bad Luck

by Shonda Ponder

It seems like ever since I got this laptop computer, I've had nothing but bad luck. First, my power cord goes out a week after I get it. A great guy I haven't seen in years, but was a facebook friend, was kind enough to bring me another one.

Then, I run out of juice on my internet connection and have to buy another $90.00 worth of power. sigh. Then, my router breaks. There goes $90 down the drain. Then we move so I can get connection, and the guy at Liberty Motel decides to cut me off because he heard untrue rumors. So, I buy another router, but then my BF finally talks to the man and convinces him that all I do is work and play on the internet. Without internet, I am not happy. Without work, I am miserable. That is all I do (besides smoke cigarettes, drink tea, and go to church when I can). So he cuts it back on...after I buy the router.

Then, my screen gets busted. I spent the last four days up in arms about my new computer. I cried. I was upset. But, I got up this morning and went, determined to do something about it. My laptop is now a desktop with an old dell monitor for the screen; but, at least it's working...and it only cost me $6.99, and cab and bus fare to get it.

I am so afraid of what is about to happen next.

However, when I was walking to the Salvation Army store from Best Buy, after finding out I would be better off buying another laptop than fixing my screen, I stepped wrong on the curb as I was walking onto the Salvation Army store parking lot. I fell, twisting my foot as I went down. Once on the ground, I lay there for a moment, mentally checking myself out and a Salvation Army employee came out to help me up.

"Are you okay?" he said.

"Yes," I answered. "I think so. I think I just need to gather the courage to get back up." I laughed a little. He helped me up. I took a few steps. Nothing was broken. I smiled and I thanked him and walked away.

I guess that's all I need. Just the courage to keep going.


No comments: