Thursday, January 15, 2015

Memories of a life lived: Legos

My son, Justin Williams, used to get legos for every Christmas and Birthday. He had a BIG plastic tub full of legos. I home schooled him, and when I would go to work, he was at home with his books and his toys to keep him occupied.

Justin was always pretty obedient, and it amazed me sometimes just HOW obedient he was.

One day, I went to work. When I came home, I could barely get into the door. Something was blocking it. I squeezed in..then, in awe I looked around. There, laid out on the living room floor was a gigantic lego city, complete with schools, gas stations, churches, banks, roads with little lego cars and people going down them...

It MUST have taken him ALL DAY build this...and I DIDN'T HAVE A CAMERA!!!!!!!

Oh my.

I swallowed a lump in my throat, and with tears in my eyes I said quietly: "Justin, son, I REALLY hate to tell you this...but you have to pick up your toys."

When I heard what came out of his mouth next, the tears started flowing. I had to leave the room so he wouldn't see me cry.

"Yes, ma'am." No argument. No pleading. Just a simple, "Yes, Ma'am."

If he had argued with me that day, he probably would have won.

No comments: