Tuesday, December 02, 2014

No man is perfect. No, not one.

My bus driver (he is a very out-spoken Christian) has been very hung up on whether God wants us to be perfect, and whether anyone who sins (regardless of Christ's sacrifice) will go to heaven if they keep sinning. He has been obsessed with this. Today we had a very in depth conversation about this all the way home. I told him that sin is inevitable. Everybody sins. No one is perfect. Yes, God wants perfection, but God also knew that perfection, for man, was pretty much unattainable, so He sent Jesus to die for our sins. He paid the price so we don't have to. He was still stuck on the "once we become Christians, we should be perfect". I corrected him, "We should STRIVE to be perfect, there is a difference. I don't think it's so much the sin that we have to worry about, as it is our reaction to our own sin." I had to leave before we could finish the conversation but he was interested.

It is impossible to be sinless. If I never sinned, I'd be proud of that. And, that is a sin. And, THAT would make me a liar, which also is a sin.

No comments: