Tuesday, October 17, 2006

I'm Called

There are times in my life when I have felt that I am being led. There are times when I feel so compelled to take action, I can't help but take action.

For instance: I ran a bar for about seven months. I loved the people, the business, and the work involved. But, for some reason, the business kept going downhill, no matter how hard I worked or how much I tried. I closed down the business on the last day of October, knowing I would have to find a job to make ends meet when I did so. A little voice in the back of my mind said, "Go to the Waffle House." I really didn't want to.

I put in my application at several places, talking to managers, but not getting anywhere for 2 days. On November 2, I broke down and followed my "gut" and went. I asked to speak to the manager on duty, and when she came to me, I stuck out my hand to shake hers and said, "My name is Shonda Ponder. I owned the Nip & Sip Bar and Lounge up until 2 days ago. I just closed it down due to lack of business. I owe child support, and I'm so far behind on bills I can't see straight. I need a job. Can you help me?"

She handed me an application, sent me to speak with the district supervisor, and I started work at the Waffle House on November 3rd, 2005.

I have been there nearly a year now. I have worked every shift, and I have never missed a day of work. Up until 2 days ago, I haven't even been late except for once, due to having to go to court, so I had a valid excuse. The day before yesterday, I overslept after working a 15 hour day the night before...and I have so many hours this week that it didn't really matter. I was still sent home early to keep me from having overtime this week, that day. Today, I was asked to clock out early due to my hours being too close to max.

Last week I got another one of those "gut feelings". So, this time, I didn't fight it. I applied for a management position at Waffle House. I've spent the last week volunteering my server time to training servers and helping on the grill. I think its all going to happen soon. I'm looking forward to advancing my experience with Waffle House.

I've had this gut feeling before. It has always sent me where I was needed most, whether I liked it, or not. The last time I had this feeling, I attended Texas Best Seminars, which later grew to be America's Media Alliance, of which I became the first president.

I've homeschooled my children on a "gut instinct". It worked for them. Both of them are much better off today than they were or would have been, had they remained in pubic school at the time.

I left Texarkana before that on that sort of feeling; and, it was that feeling that brought me back home. I've learned that God has a strong way of communicating with me, and that it is always best to follow whereever He leads me.

I've never been sorry.

No comments: