Sunday, August 17, 2014

No one to blame but ourselves...

I was talking to someone the other day (I won't say who, or where I was, but the conversation was important enough I feel I need to share). We started talking about the ebola patients that were coming into the U.S. Then, the conversation got around to Israel.

"But, they have been fighting since the beginning of time. They will never quit fighting," she said. I then explained to her how this latest round of fighting got started. Three teenage boys, one of them an American. I explained how the Hamas was hiding behind the Palestinians, and why Israel is killing the Palestinians in the fire.

Then, not wanting to speak anymore about it, the conversation somehow went to the Border, and what should be done about that, and how Rick Perry has decided to deal with it. I voiced my support for Perry.

Finally, she said, "I don't like to talk about religion or politics. I don't want to have to choose sides."

I smiled. Then, as respectfully as I could, I told her, "You say that now. You feel that way, now. But, the time is going to come, and soon, when you won't have a choice. Those people who are coming over into our country from the borders? Some of them are terrorists. Soon, they will be coming into your yard. They will be killing your family, in front of you. They will try to kill you. You will be faced with a choice then. Do you listen to the government who tells us to be tolerant of Islam? Or do you fight to be the Christian God has called you to be? Do you welcome the illegal immigrants and give them quarter? or do you defend what's yours and demand they get off your property. You will die, one way or the other. Will you die on their side, or God's? The time is coming, and it's going to be here faster than you think. You, yourself, may have to witness and deal with it. You may have to suffer for your indecisiveness. So, just think about all that was said here today."

I remember about 15 years ago, when the age limit to buy alcohol in Texas was raised to 21. I went to jail on the DAY the law went into affect, because I failed to I-D an 18 year old in a sting operation in Austin, Texas.

A year later, I worked at another convenient store. There was a line of people at the counter and I was the only cashier that day. An old gentleman came with his six pack of beer.

The law was that you had to be over 21 AND have a valid Texas ID. AND. Not OR. And I didn't want to lose my job or go back to jail. The man was clearly in his 50s or 60s. I asked him for his ID. He looked at me like I was crazy.

I explained to him that I couldn't sell the alcohol to him if he didn't show his ID, and then I explained why. He shook his head in disgust and frustration, cussing me as he was walking out the door.

I stopped him. "Sir!" I said.

He stopped and turned around.

"I just have a question to ask you," I said. "Did you know that they were going to vote on this law before it passed?"

"Yes," he said.

"Did you call your congressman to tell him how you felt about the law? Did you write a letter? What did you do to stop this law from being passed?"

He shook his head, then answered, "I never thought it would ever happen here."

"Then you shouldn't be cussing me. It's YOUR fault you have to follow the law."

Everyone in line clapped.

It's the same premise today. If we don't secure our rights and our freedoms from those in our government who think we have too much, then when we can't fight back, we have no one to blame but ourselves.

No comments: