Monday, July 28, 2014

Gun Control Kills Kids

Written by Shonda Ponder
on September 12, 2009
On Monday, in Santee, California, a school shooting took place where a gunman killed one person and injured 14 more. In the aftermath of this tragic incident, I feel it is time to say a few words.

According to MSNBC the "gunman" was, in fact, a 15-year-old student. This student had been the target of cruel behavior by other students in the school. I say the fault lies within the law itself, rather than the lack of law.

There are several reasons that I come to this conclusion, and I am asking that you would bear with me for an instance while I outline my apparently "twisted" way of thinking so that you can come to a good understanding of the thought process behind it. Although, I am sure many of you will still say that I am crazy for having such a twisted mindset.

If I had got into a fight at school, I would have got a paddle on my behind, not to mention the belt on my butt when my mom read the note written by the teacher afterward. Now days, teachers are not allowed to paddle a child for the most part. And parents are accused of abuse if they spank their children for fighting. So what option did this boy have?

Homeschooling would have worked. But, in California the homeschoolers are faced with fear due to the many laws that are designed to keep children in compulsary attendence at public schools. As a result, many parents have to fear each day as they send their child off to school and pray that their child comes home alive. For at least one person today, that prayer was not enough.

Then there are the "no tolerance" zones. Weapons are not allowed on school property. So, the "gunman" knew that there would be no retaliation while he went on his rampage. In Israel, teachers are required to carry guns with them to school. Once that law had been enacted, the terrorism in the schools stopped. In America, a teacher would go to the federal penitentiary for daring to have a means of defending himself. And the terrorism statistics are sky-high.

Yet, in the aftermath of this tragedy we hear things like, "All I can personally say is here is another nail in the coffin of those who say we do not need gun control."

No kidding. I got it in an email. My response to this is that all I can say is if the "gunman" had known that a teacher or two had a gun to defend herself with, he would have thought twice about attempting such an endeavor. How so? he would have not wanted to get shot at. A gunman who would take a gun onto school property KNOWING that those kids and teachers have NO way of defending himself is cowardly to say the least.

How come there are no murders like this reported on gun ranges? Because gunmen KNOW better than to try. Show me the statistics that tell me that guns are such a problem by comparing the rate of murders attempted at gun shows and gun ranges to those that are attempted at schools. I'll bet you will find that the rate of murders at gun ranges are considerly non-existent compared to anywhere guns are not allowed. And, then tell me that guns are the problem.

I have a hard time believing that a child who is well educated, which apparently the schools fail to do as evidenced by this, and is well disciplined would do such a thing.

All of this has led to my analysis, which is the only one that makes sense to me at this point in time:

Gun control kills kids.

No comments: