Monday, December 10, 2012

No One's Fault but Your Own...

I was arrested and taken to jail in 1997 for failure to ID an 18 year old who bought a six pack of beer in a convenient store where I worked. I lost my job and became greatly in debt for not being able to pay my bills and using credit to get by. I finally got up the nerve to go back to work at another convenient store that sold beer in 1998. I learned the law and determined I would not go to jail for the same crime again. The law says you have to be over 21 to buy alcohol AND you have to have a VALID TEXAS ID. So I carded everyone, even if they were 50.

One day, the line at my register was terribly long and I was the only cashier on the premises. An older man had his beer and I carded him. He did not have his ID so I said, "I am sorry, sir. I cannot sell you that beer." He threw a tantrum in front of all the people in line. I still refused saying, "I am not going back to jail for you."

As he was cursing and walking out, I stopped him with, "Sir?" He stopped and looked angrily at me. I asked, "Before this law passed, did you know it was on the table to be voted on in the Texas Legislature?" He said, "Yes. But I didn't think it would pass." I said, "Did you write or call your state representative and tell him how you felt about it?" He said, "No, I didn't think it affected me." I said, "Then don't get mad at me for following a law you could have prevented."

Everyone in line clapped and cheered.

===============

No comments: