Thursday, November 08, 2012

I'll Make It

This poem was written by me in 1984, when I was 14 years old. It was later published in "Field of Dreams", a compilation of poetry for a poetry contest, which I didn't win. It was rewarding, however to see it published.

I'll make it throughout it all;
I'll be just fine, you'll see.
This won't be the first time I fall
And get a bruised and splintered knee.
But, mom, you can't keep holding on;
You've got to let me go.
If I don't try life on my own,
How will I ever know?
The older I get, the tougher life seems
But if I don't make mistakes,
Faster turns and broken dreams
Will be the only turns I take.
If I don't make them all right now,
They'll be there later waiting;
And I'll be tempted to jump right in
Without even hesitating
Please, mom, try to understand,
I don't want to see you sad;
But the more you keep on holding my hand,
The more I make you mad.
If my life will ever be
The success that I intend,
I must have a moral support
Only love can comprehend;
But, mom, you can't keep holding on.
You've got to let me go.
If I don't try life on my own,
How will I ever know?

No comments: